Thursday 24 February 2011

Beauty Favourites

Today I’ve decided to tentatively dip my toes into the world of beauty blogging.

Despite my beauty regime being longer and more complicated than the entire Matrix trilogy as well as subscribing to a whole host of beauty blogs, writing about it myself is something that I never really started. So for my first post I thought I’d let you into my secret treasure trove of beauty products I use.

To be fair I’ve probably sampled enough hair, beauty and skin products to keep the entire industry afloat, and am a sucker for outlandish claims and miracle products so I thought I let you into which are my favourites.
(From left to right)

Umberto Gianni Grunge Glamour Tousled Salt Spray


After some serious hair sinning I’m now in a phase of being as kind as possible to my poor mistreated hair. So the first thing I stopped doing was using any heat on it. I’m usually not in a rush to do my hair as quick as possible so have plenty of time to let my naturally wavy hair air dry. This stuff is great as it makes my waves a lot more defined and a bit more in control to give that “beachy” hair effect (I think it’s because of the salt...) which is what we like to avoid the “lions mane” look. It promises “From cool festival hair to rock chick grunge glamour, this gives the perfect lived in texture and come-to-bed hair” and to a reasonable extent that’s what it delivers (although in all fairness I don’t think my hair’s going to get anyone into bed...) And it makes my hair smell nice all day too!

K-Pak Deep-Penetrating Reconstructor


This one I brought from my hairdresser after she coaxed me into it. No way would I usually spend £15 on one product, but she’d just pointed out what bad condition my hair was in and told me this would sort it. It’s a bit like an intensive conditioner apart from it doesn’t condition, it “rebuilds and improves the structure of the hair” so you need to use a conditioner afterwards. Anyway I’ve been using it once a week for about 6 months now and it has made my hair a lot healthier (no more comments from hairdressers about how dead it is) and there’s no more evidence of all damage that was done as a result of the blonde that was in it a couple of years ago. Plus it smells like bananas, so anyone who’s ruined their hair by over dying I’d give this a go!

Umberto Gianni Backcomb in a Bottle


I do like big hair on occasion, and this definitely delivers it without having to go through the torture of back combing (or even worse, over back combing!) your hair. Fair enough you’re not going to get an instant beehive, just a bit of subtle volume in an instant, saving you the hours spent teasing the life out of your hair to wake up to a birds nest the next morning! If I want my hair to be as big as possible I’ll use it alongside some other volumizing products for a bit of extra oomph.

Herbal Essences Beautiful Ends Split End Protection Cream


Another product to prevent damage! This one promises to be “your secret weapon against split ends, and your bodyguard against breakage.” Too cut a long story short, I tried to grow my hair but it was so damaged hairdressers would lob an inch off each time I went, resulting in hair which just wouldn’t grow. Now I only cut it at the first sign of split ends and when I use this stuff it prevents them meaning I can go longer without a trim, and thus have had progress in the length department!

Benefit Some Kind-A Gorgeous Foundation Faker


I’ve recently become fed up with heavy foundations and powders as I just don’t see the point for going to work or to the shops so I switched to a much lighter and not so heavy one and this is just that. It really is barely there and is translucent, so it just evens you out a bit instead of creating a complete mask like other foundations do. I just put a bit of this on and maybe some powder and I’m done! Not good if you have particularly dry skin or lots of blemishes you want to hide, but if you want a more subtle foundation, this is for you!

Urban Decay Eye Shadow Primer Potion.


I got this as part of the urban Decay naked palette and I really like it! You just put a tiny bit on your lids before you do your eye shadow and it keeps it in place all day and prevents it from creasing. Great if you want a full day’s wear from your eye shadow and don’t want to have to blend out creases during the day. I know everyone’s already sold on this product and it’s featured on every beauty blog since in the beginning of time, but it really is rather good!

L’oreal Studeo Secrets Smoothing Resurfacing Primer


This stuff is great for putting on just before your foundation. As well as making your skin super soft and reducing the appearance of your pores, it also makes a great base to put your foundation on top of which makes it last a bit longer before turning you into a shiny mess. The only con is that it’s about £12 and the pot is tiny, so if you’re using it every day on all of your face it’s going to run out quite quickly. But it does take a lot less than you’d think to cover your whole face so you learn to be sparing and I think it’s worth the price as it makes you skin feel really good, I use this every day I wear make up now.

No comments:

Post a Comment